Poison Prevention Week is March 19 – 25, and if you own a pet, you’ll want to know about these items you probably have sitting around your home that could prove to be fatal for your pet.
- Have a headache? Pop a Tylenol. But, if your pet accidentally gets into some of your human medication, including aspirin, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen, you could be facing a serious pet health emergency. Other human medicines to keep away from pets include cold medicines, antidepressants, vitamins, diet pills, and drugs that fight cancer.
- We don’t like when strings are attached, but your pet will dislike it even more, because stringy items, including yarn, rubber bands, dental floss, and the like can be easily swallowed by your pet, causing intestinal blockages or even strangulation, both of which can be fatal.
- Some insect control products, including many over-the-counter flea and tick preventives, could be toxic to your furry pal. Prescription products are always safest, but even a prescription medication meant for a dog could be deadly if used on a cat. Always ask us which flea and tick products are best for your pets.
- Cooking spray. No one wins when dinner sticks to the pan (unless you’d rather not eat mom’s cooking anyway), but if you have a pet bird, beware the fumes from nonstick cooking surfaces and self-cleaning ovens. They’ll keep things cleaner for you, but they can be deadly to your feathered friend.
There are many household and garden items that are dangerous for your pets. Also watch for poisonous plants, toys with small parts, rawhide chews, human foods (chocolate, artificial sweeteners, chicken bones, alcohol, onions, and grapes, just to name a few), and holiday décor.
If you suspect your pet has gotten into something she shouldn’t have, call our office immediately. You can also call the Pet Poison Helpline 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.