The team at Pet Care Clinic of Doral has seen it all – seemingly innocent items around the house can cause serious damage to your pets. Today, we’ll give you five things that are most likely in your home that should be locked far away from your curious creatures. Some are obvious and some may surprise you.
Acetaminophen can be found in Tylenol and other medicine, causing liver damage in dogs and anemia in cats. Be especially careful around your cats, ingesting too much can be fatal.
Most people know about this one but it’s always a great reminder. For the record, dark chocolate is worse than milk and white chocolate, but even cocoa can be toxic if too much is ingested. If ingested, please call the team at Pet Care Clinic of Doral. In both cats and dogs too much chocolate can cause seizures and even death.
3. Onions and Garlic
Chewing these items can cause damage, they don’t even need to be ingested to cause problems. Digesting these items can cause anemia and stomach issues. Next time you’re cooking with either, be sure to keep a close eye on your pets watching for falling scraps.
4. Chewing Gum, Mints, and Toothpaste
These products contain Xylitol, a sweetener that can cause serious issues with your pets! The biggest issue you’ll need to worry about is liver failure. Keep your packs of gum and mints out of range of curious cats and excited dogs.
Yes, grapes. Even a small amount of grape juice or a raisin could cause issues as bad as kidney failure in your dog. Be careful with this one, some fruits are okay for dogs to ingest and some are not. Grapes should be kept very far away!
6. Laundry Detergents
While laundry detergents used to be liquid and up on a shelf, we’re seeing more detergents in pod format and left under a sink or in a box in the laundry room. Ingesting these items will cause ulcers in your pet’s mouths and stomach.
Do you have any of these items in your home? Be sure to go lock them up and keep them far away from your pets.